The Welcome Diner is a Valentine Diner made by the former Valentine Manufacturing Company of Wichita, Kansas. Its vintage is most likely around the mid 1950’s. Although some say it was first in Los Angeles on Wilshire Blvd, alternatively, others say it first appeared as the Hi-Way Diner on Route 66 in Winslow, Arizona. Whichever way it really happened, by the mid 60’s it was in Winslow, along Route 66, feeding the thousands of folks migrating back and forth coast-to-coast. The Hi-Way Diner was a chain of several Valentine diners – all with 10 seats and a take-out window – located in same general area the areas of Northern Arizona: Flagstaff, Holbrook, Winslow and Twin Arrows. - Sloane McFarland
The corner where the Roosevelt diner sits, seen here as an empty lot in the early 80s.